Chicken Bak Kwa
Chicken Bak Kwa
Chicken thigh, minced
Dark soy sauce (Healthier Choice Symbol), savoury
Light soy sauce (Healthier Choice Symbol)
Ground white pepper
White sesame seed
- Pre-heat oven at 150°C.
- Mix the honey with water and set aside.
- Mix all the ingredients (except honey water and white sesame seed) thoroughly in a big bowl. Blend them in one direction with spatula, and until the mixture turn gooey.
- Marinate for at least 4 hours (or refrigerate overnight).
- Place a large piece of parchment paper on a flat surface and add ¼ (fist size) of the marinated meat mixture onto it.
- Place another piece of parchment paper on top of the mixture and roll it flat with a rolling pin until it is 2-3mm thick. Remove the top parchment paper and shape the mixture into an even rectangle.
- Transfer the mixture (together with the parchment paper on the bottom) onto a large baking tray and bake the mixture in oven at 150°C for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Brush a layer of honey on the meat and sprinkle some white sesame seeds. Bake in oven at 200°C for another 5 minutes.
- Repeat step 8 for the other side.
- Use a scissors or pizza cutter to cut the bak kwa into pieces. Then, it’s ready to serve.
- Blend meat mixture till gooey, but do not over blend as it will affect the texture.
- Constantly check the oven to adjust timing and temperature, to prevent over baking, especially after brushing with honey.
Recipe available in English and Chinese. Download PDF here
- Using natural spices such as pepper and coriander powder, as well as using condiments/sauce with Healthier Choice Symbol (HCS) can help to reduce 70% of sodium content as compared to commercial chicken bak kwa.
- One piece of this healthier version chicken bak kwa contains 9g of protein, which is equivalent to 3 egg whites.