PD Home Support Programme
We walk with you every step of the way
Through NKF’s PD Home Support Programme, our experienced PD nurses will support patients every step of the way in their PD journey – from preparing them in adapting to PD by assessing and optimising their home environment, to facilitating smooth transition from hospital to home and having regular home visits to check on them so as to ensure they are doing well on PD in the long term*.
Since we started our PD care team in 2013, we have delivered more than 16,000 home visits for PD patients. Our integrated care team not only care patients clinically, but also psychosocially and emotionally.
*The number and frequency of visits will vary according to the nurse’s assessment.
Who Can Apply?
All new and existing PD patients (including subsidised and non-subsidised) referred by Public Health Institutions (PHIs).
Pre-PD Home Support
- Assess and optimise patient’s home environment
- Facilitate transition from hospital to home, handhold and educate patient on PD
- Provide guidance on equipment and storage area
- Prepare patient and caregiver on home PD
Initiation/Maintenance Home Support to Assess and Manage:
- PD techniques
- PD catheter exit site care
- General clinical condition: blood pressure, blood glucose, weight, fluid status, appetite, nutritional status, etc
- Compliance: medication, dialysis records and procedures
- Patient and caregiver psychosocial status and support
- Home environment: hygiene, area of storage of PD solutions
- Risk assessment of patient by Ministry of Health
- Work closely with PHIs to assist patient and caregiver to cope with PD
Exclusively for Patients Supported by NKF
- Nutritional assessment
- Home environment fall risk assessment
- Administration of intraperitoneal medications during routine home support
- Invite and engage patient and family to NKF educational talks and social activities
For more information, please email us at ALL-PD@nkfs.org or give us a call at 1800 KIDNEYS (5436397)
NKF’s PD Home Support Programme provides home-based support to help PD patients manage their treatment well at home. NKF PD nurses work closely with respective hospital and vendors to ensure a holistic approach.
NKF PD nurses will also conduct regular home visits to help patients prepare and adapt to PD, and ensure a PD-safe environment so as to boost their confidence in performing PD independently at home.
Regular PD support visits, home PD re-training for a new caregiver and respite assisted PD will continue to be provided and made readily available throughout patients’ PD treatment journey.